Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Southwestern Cacti

Students in 4th grade learn about he different regions of the US, and I wanted to tie in an art project to this.  I came across this lesson and thought they came out so vibrant and beautiful.  I had to get in on that!  I showed my class a Power Point reviewing the different regions briefly and then focused on the Southwest.  We looked at the plant life, weather, landforms and the artwork that is influenced by Mexico, and Native Americans.  The class really enjoyed creating the cacti and the patterns on the pottery.  We discussed warm and cool colors and I made them choose between a cool color scheme or warm color scheme for the sky.  They used tempera cakes to create the "sky".  Then on a separate paper they created the potted cacti with pencil, then black sharpie and finally colored with tempera cakes.  Once dry they cut it out and glued it to their sky background.  I had never used tempera cakes before this, next time I will have them use less water so the color come out brighter.   







No comments:

Post a Comment